GIPS® Standards for Asset Owners
The Gold Standard in Investment Performance
Why Should Asset Owners Comply?
Historically, the GIPS standards were silent on asset owners, and the guidance wasn’t a great fit. CFA Institute, with input from the industry, issued guidance specifically for asset owners. This guidance included considerations to make the GIPS standards a better fit for asset owners, such as the acknowledgment that many asset owners do not have prospective clients because they do not compete for business. And, hopefully, guidance that would make it easier for asset owners to comply, such as the one-year minimum compliance requirement, rather than the five years required of asset managers.
Now that there is a chapter specific for asset owners, there are several reasons why asset owners should comply with the GIPS standards.
- The GIPS standards are a set of ethical principles that have been widely accepted by asset managers across the globe.
- Compliance with the GIPS standards demonstrates that the organization is committed to an external set of global industry standards and best practices.
- Provides stakeholders with greater confidence in what is being reported.
- Establishes robust policies and procedures within the organization.
- Ensures the use of consistent, transparent, and comparable methods for calculating and presenting performance.
- Demonstrates that the asset owner is willing to follow the same standards used by, and typically required of, external asset managers.
The Global Investment Performance Standards (GIPS®) announced several years ago that asset owners can now claim compliance, but until recently we hadn’t seen much in the way of movement to comply. That is changing, however, as some of the largest U.S. public pension funds as well as some in other parts of the world, have decided to comply.
TSG serves both asset managers and asset owners, including many of the largest that claim compliance in the United States, Canada, Europe, and the Middle East.
We created this page to provide asset owners with information on GIPS compliance, as well as our other services that can benefit asset owners.
- GIPS standards for Asset Owners White Paper
- CFA Institute’s Guidance Statement
- Verification Process for Asset Owners
- GIPS for Asset Owners: Why Adopt a Voluntary Standard? Webinar
- Robert Paterson, CIPM, FRM, CalPERS
- Ashley Reeves, CIPM, TSG
Get a Customized Proposal
We can provide you with a proposal tailored to your precise needs.
Please answer the questions below, and we will provide you with a detailed proposal for performance verification services. Or, if you need immediate assistance, please call 732-873-5700.
GIPS® is a registered trademark owned by CFA Institute. CFA Institute does not endorse or promote this organization, nor does it warrant the accuracy or quality of the content contained herein.